Thursday, April 19, 2012

Vanilla Sponge Cake

I made this cake for my friend's birthday and everyone loved it. The recipe for this cake is from Sharmis Passions. I followed the recipe to the word, except increased the sugar and it came out awesome. So I made this again and again and my husband could just not have enough of it!


Ingredients
  • 1 1/2 cups All Purpose Flour
  • 1 cup thick plain Yogurt
  • 1 cup Granulated Sugar
  • 1/2 tsp Baking soda
  • 1 1/4 tsp Baking powder
  • 1/2 cup Cooking oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp Vanilla essence
  • 1 tbsp Milk (just for brushing the top)
Method
1) Preheat oven to 350F.
2) Cream sugar and curd until sugar completely dissolves. Add baking powder and baking soda to the creamed mixture and mix well. 
3) Now add vanilla essence,cooking oil and mix well. Add the All purpose Flour and blend it with the wet ingredients. Beat well with a whisk until creamy and thick.
4) Grease the cake tin or loaf pan and pour the batter to it and bake in the preheated oven at 350F and bake it for 25-30 min or till a fork inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Just brush the top of the cake with 1 tbsp milk, 10 min before the ending time to get a nice polishing glaze.


5) Allow the cake to cool down for 10 min before taking it out of the pan and allow it to cool completely for around 30 min before frosting the cake.
6) In the meantime, I made the Vanilla frosting doubling the quantity given in the recipe to frost the entire cake.
7) Using a basting brush or the back of a spatula, apply the vanilla frosting to cover the entire cake. Make it a smooth finish.
8) Refrigerate the cake for 10 min so that the initial layer of the icing is a little solidified. Out of my experience I found that it is easier to decorate the cake this way.
9) Take it out from the refrigerator and decorate the cake in the way you would like it. I had some chocolate frosting left with me, so I used that to draw the borders and write on the cake. Then I added the sprinkles to make it colourful.

Suggestions/ Notes
  1. Don't doubt on using Yogurt as the taste of yogurt will not at all be noticed in the cake. (Actually my family still doesn't know this secret ingredient but they all love the cake.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Curries for Indian Flatbreads

Paneer Butter Masala
Methi Malai Mutter
Channa Masala